Aug 7, 2014

Me A to Z

Do bloggers ever get tired of talking about themselves?

Of course not!

So here goes: Me A to Z, a meme that's doing the rounds at the moment, though I first read it at Princess Pandora.


A If you were an ANIMAL, what would you be? 

I think I would be a Clumber Spaniel.

From Wikipedia:
"Their temperament is described as gentle, loyal and affectionate, but dignified and aloof with strangers.They can appear to be a sedate breed and enjoy curling up on the couch, eating and sleeping.
"Clumber Spaniels are large boned"
"They have several habits which could be considered disadvantages, including...snoring..."
"Clumber Spaniels can suffer from heat sensitivity."
"...although the Clumber is rather slow in the field compared to other spaniels, it is a quiet worker with a fine nose and good stamina.


Lara604/Flickr




 B BOOKS: What's on your reading list? 

On my Kindle and not yet read are:

Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother, by Amy Chua 
Crazy: Notes On and Off the Couch, by Rob Dobreski 
Arlington Park, by Rachel Cusk 
Forecast: Turbulance, by Jeanette Turner Hospital 
1912: The Year the World Discovered Antartica, by Chris Turney
Steve Jobs: the Exclusive Biography (I suspect I may never get to this one)

In book form on my bedside table are:

1927, by Bill Bryson 
The Great Unknown, edited by Angela Meyer (supernatural short stories)
Ranger in Danger - Decide Your Destiny: King Cobra's Curse by Sean Willmore and Alison Reynolds (a kids' novel I picked up because it seems to be a modern version of the 'choose your own adventure' stories I loved as a kid). 

Not yet bought but I want to read, are:

Lost and Found, by Brooke Davis (new novel. The plot doesn't grab me, but she's a beautiful writer)
In My Skin, by Kate Holden


 C COMPULSIVE about anything? 

It's not anything to be proud of, but I can't help myself: I have to pick at scabs, fingernails, peeling skin, etc. It's gross and unsightly and creates scars, but I haven't managed to stop yet.

 D DREAMS - Do you ... dream in color? remember your dreams? keep a dream journal? 

Yes, I've always been a big dreamer. I love the dreamworld. I usually remember at least two dreams a night, though I forget some dreams later in the day. I used to keep a dream journal, but not anymore. I do think about and analyse them though, and notice recurring themes and patterns.

 E EATING - what's your usual snack? 

Crackers.

 F A Few of your FAVORITE Things: 

Dogs
Scent of lemon
Aqua di Gio perfume
Collecting clean sheets off the washing line in summer
Popular science 
Books
Birds
Kids' cartoons
Art
Drawing
The sky
Bill Bryson
Tall trees
Mug of flat white coffee in the morning
Chocolate




 G GIGGLES! What (or who) makes you laugh? Do you have a good sense of humor? 

Steve Martin
Steve Carrell
Ben Stiller
Amy Poehler
Flight of the Conchords
30 Rock
9Gag
My kids - kids are hilarious
My sister's text messages - she's very funny

I believe myself to have an exceptionally good sense of humour. (Don't we all?)

 H major HOT Button: 

Snobbery; smugness.

 I I am ______________ ... 

...typing this while watching Steve Martin in The Pink Panther with the kids.
(this has been sitting in my drafts for a few days)

 K Also KNOWN As... Aliases? Screen names? A non de plume perhaps? 

Jack (I like it - friends and people who obviously feel comfortable with me use it naturally)
Jackster (I don't like)
Mum
Fruito (joking Greek term of endearment by Y - meaning muddle-headed and silly like fruit)




 L I LOVE ... 

See F and add my family and friends and pets.

 M How do you feel about MEETING people? Do it all the time? Rarely? Parties or 1-on-1? 

I am fine meeting new people, but always a bit nervous. I don't do it that often these days, which is not good, I know.

 N What's the story of your NAME? were you named after anyone? Do you go by a nickname? Any aliases? 

It was a compromise name, as Dad didn't like Mum's first choice, which I think was Jodie. 
I strongly suspect Jackie Kennedy Onassis had something to do with the fact that Jacqueline was a very popular name in the late 60s when I was born.

 O OBSERVANT - What's around you right now? What do you see? 

Messy desk, dog toys on the floor, shopping bags to be unpacked in the kitchen, my daughter's creepy Furby (thankfully sleeping), on the shelf next to me.


 P Who are the special PEOPLE in your life? 

Those who read this blog of course! 

And kids, husband, sister and parents, I guess...

 Q Any Little QUIRKs About Yourself: 

I hate the word quirky. And I hate it when people describe themselves as quirky, odd, whimsical or crazy. And I know that's not quirky of me at all.





 R What do you like to do for RECREATION?

Reading, walking, coffee with family or friends, watching a good movie or DVD series.

 S Do You SING in the Shower? In the car? For your friends? 

In the car definitely. In the shower sometimes. For friends, never. It would be cruel.

 T What's at the Top of your TO DO list?:

Clean out my kitchen pantry.

 U Any UNUSUAL Experiences: 

I once flew a plane and then completely forgot I had done it, until I was reminded of it years later. Seriously: I was reading a blog about someone's amazing experience flying a plane, and thought 'I'd like to do that', and then I remembered I had. It was part of an excursion with a group of English-language students when I was teaching English; the flight instructor let me take the controls for a bit.

I lived for 3 years in Greece on a tourist visa, going in and out every 6 months.

It's a tourist thing, but it was still great: I went horseback riding at dawn to Mt Bromo volcano near Surabaya.

 V VEGAS, Vienna, Venice, Vladivostok... How far have you traveled? What's your favorite City? 

I've been to Vegas, Vienna and Venice but not Vladivostok. I've been to the US (east coast, west coast, Florida and Hawaii), Canada, Mexico, UK, Scotland, Wales, France, Germany, Switzerland, Monaco, Liechtenstein, Austria, Bulgaria, Italy, Vatican City, Spain, Portugal, Greece, Turkey, Indonesia, Singapore, Hong Kong and New Zealand.

My favourite city is Thessaloniki in Greece.

 W WINTER, Spring, Summer, Fall... What's your favorite season? What makes it special? 

Autumn. It's still warm but not hot, it's beautiful, and it's one of the middle seasons which are nice because they are transitional.

 X EXes - Things You Don't Do Anymore (but did, once (would you, again?)) 

Ride on the back of motorbikes. (No)
Visit art galleries (Yes)
Walk for hours (Yes)
Wear short dresses (No)

 Y Any secret/deep YEARNINGS? 

Not so secret, but to be published writer.

 Z ZERO to ZENITH - Where are you in your life? Still growing? On an upward (or downward) curve? Just skating along? 

Hopefully still growing. 

10 comments:

  1. Surely she ain't going to do 24, or are there 26 letters in the alphabet. I can't remember. You did and it was mercifully brief and interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting questions...they give you the opportunity to recap your life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it's not a bad list this one. Initially I had the same reaction as Andrew: what, 26 questions?? But they're quite good ones.

      Delete
  3. Well I think I would like you.

    And apparently I already am a special person in your life.
    Fun post,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would hope so, Joe!
      And yes of course you are.

      Delete
  4. C- me too. I blame my mother who did the same; where else would I learn such a thing?
    X-exes- short dresses? would I wear them again? maybe. If they are short enough to pass as t-shirts or tops over jeans.
    Many dresses are far prettier than t-shirts and tend to keep their shape better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad C is not just me...
      You're right about dresses vs tops.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...