Feb 16, 2015

Great Innovations





There are great inventions that changed the world: things like paper, refrigeration, the internal combustion engine, the internet - even the shipping container.  There's great stuff that has saved lives and improved the world, like vaccines, seat belts, genetically modified food and the internet.

But what about the countless small innovations that have made daily life better? The things that you don't even notice, unless you're old enough to remember a time without them. Every time I use a ziplock bag, spray detangler on my kids' hair or pop open a milk carton, I think of what a marvel these things are, and how happy and proud I hope are the people who invented them. I hope, regardless of any money or kudos their innovations got them, that these people go home every night from their workplaces, content and satisfied, knowing their work has made life a little bit better.


I'm thinking of things like...


Non-Iron clothes. Thanks to permanent pant creases and drip-dry wrinkle-free technology, the only time I iron these days is when my daughter does a Hama bead project.

Photo

Of course, along with non-crushable fabrics and everyone's time-poor lives has come an increased tolerance for crushed fabrics, so we do wear clothes like school dresses and cotton shirts that really SHOULD be ironed but aren't. And so does everyone else.


Blu-tack. Blue-tack was around when I was a kid, so it's not recent. But it's still great.


Dauvlt Alexander/Flickr CC
Easy-peel stickers. Young people, you have no idea what things used to be like. Once upon a time, when you bought things from a shop and brought them home, you would spend a frustrating amount of time trying to remove the stickers, especially from things like books and CDs. Frequently, you would end up scraping them off bit by bit with sticky gum getting caught under your fingernails, and then rubbing off the residue with tea-tree oil (or leaving it there forever).



Photo



Car registration stickers (finally, as of this year, no longer required here) have been easy-peel for some years, but when I was a kid they required a bucket of soapy water and a razor blade to take off, and were a fun way for your dad to pass the time on a Saturday.







If I were writing this list ten years ago, I might have added sticker postage stamps. But actually I really invented those myself, because back when I used postage stamps and used to have to lick the backs of them, I used to say every time "Ugh! Why can't they make these stickers?!"


Pull-apart packaging. Cereal bags, coffee packs, band-aid envelopes - a world of ease and pleasure in opening things that used to be a complete pain to open. And milk cartons actually open the way they're supposed to now. Remember having to take a knife to them half the time in ye olden days?

Of course, there are other packaging types that are still in their "to be improved" stages


Photo
Every goddamned time


Aaargh

But back to the good stuff:


Hair detangling spray and equipment.  These sprays (any brand) are amazing, and these brushes are MAGIC.




The multi-coloured pencil. What a marvel! Checkered paint can only be around the corner!

Photo



The fuel cap tether, attaching the petrol cap to the car these days. Such a little thing. Such genius.




Travel packs of wipes. Because little kids are sticky all the time, and carrying around a damp flannel in a plastic bag was not as handy.



This drain on the edges of swimming pools, that lets pools be filled to the very top.  I'm pretty sure that this is recent. I remember a time when pools filled level with the ground was the stuff of top-level decadent fantasy.  Now it's every pool everywhere, and it's so good.




And: mini-dodgems just for kids

Photo



What did I miss? 
What innovations have improved your daily life?

10 comments:

  1. The little motor on your car that lets windshield washer be squirted right where it's needed...my handy dandy bottle opener...delivery chinese food....velcro....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes: so many improvements in cars over the years of which that's a great one!

      Delete
  2. Jackie, diswasher, mobiles phones, cars and so... outnumbered... I love multicoloured pencils

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many good things!
      Glad it's not just me with the multi-coloured pencil :)

      Delete
  3. No way to cover all the innovations in one post. You've listed some excellent ones. My biggest complaint today is packaging that is near impossible to open without multiple sharp objects or a twisting combination that old eyes can not figure out (all courtesy of the insane jerkweed from the 80's who poisoned the Tylenol.)

    Delores hit one that I was going to say....velcro, especially for kids shoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! My kids only had to learn to tie laces for the first time last year thanks to Velcro fasteners on sneakers up till age 9

      Delete
  4. There was a great trick with the old rego stickers - piece of glad wrap, soapy water, soak for 15 minutes, pulled off in one piece. Not many knew about that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yeah I remember that now. I remember doing that myself.

      Delete
  5. Blue Tac was not around when I was young, so it was drawing pin holes in the walls and into the soles of feet at times. I don't miss the registration label nonsense at all.

    I'll punt for a left field one, cheap Chinese imports. It something of a curate's egg though as we manufacture so little now. But how cheap things are to buy. We looked at a package in Big W yesterday and for $40 it had nearly everything you needed to set up a kitchen for cooking, including a frypan and pots I think. Ok, poor quality perhaps, but if it breaks, throw it away and buy another. Glothes can be bought so cheaply and look at the price of tvs now. Yes, our disposable society is not what we should have aimed for, but gee there are some real benefits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God I do not miss thumb tacks. They're awful things!
      Yes the way everything's so cheap now is a funny one. We don't like the exploitation and waste it has brought, but we're all happy with the benefits. I saw that same box at Big W or KMart this week and I remembered how similar starter boxes when I got married were three times the price, and the stuff was no better then. And uglier. These days cheap things can still be pretty.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...