Jan 1, 2011

2010

These are just too tempting, especially the short ones. This comes by way of Pandora Queen of Denial ,  The Plastic Mancunian, and Sunday Stealing. It's a good quick set of questions to farewell the year.

So here we go.

1. What did you do in 2010 that you'd never done before?

I know it's an easy out and I'm sorry there is nothing more, but has to be "raise 4-year-olds".
Every day's a new set of achievements!

2. Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Nooooooo, and no.

 
3. How will you be spending New Year's Eve?
Home, doing this. Unfortunately had to beg off the friend's barbecue we were invited to, as the girls and I are too tired after the pre-Christmas and Christmas madness, and need some more Quiet Time. My husband is playing a New Year's Eve gig in the city, the girls are asleep in their rooms. Sorry to admit this but I am enjoying my NYE on the couch in front of some bad TV with a bottle of beer by my side, laptop on my lap and glasses on my nose. Cheers!

I've just circled back to this - it's now 12.15 and I got a lovely phone call from my husband, who is on his way home. Happy New Year!

4. Did anyone close to you die?
Thankfully no.

 
5. What countries did you visit?

Oh, where to start, where to start. Let's see, that would be... Australia?!
Sadly, 2010 marked the year my passport expired. First time since I was 17 I have been without a passport. Life has changed (and quite awhile ago too).
(Note to self however - must get it renewed. Seriously.)

 6. What would you like to have in 2011 that you lacked in 2010?

Time. Part-time work (yeah, sorry Blog Raison d'Etre...I might have to re-work this blog). Money in the savings account.



7. What date from 2010 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?

Not exact dates - but November and December stand out. Reasons (in order of occurrence):
- found out my job will be made redundant sometime next year (HOORAY)
- orientation days and evening with principal at my kids' school (they start in Feb) - came away with worries abated and very impressed and excited
- family holiday to Lakes Entrance for a week
- my grandfather's 90th birthday
- Christmas day and "graduation day" at the girls' daycare; their kinder teacher made them all graduation hats from cardboard and gowns from black garbage bags, and they each got a laminated certificate and a photo. Cute!
- my girls turned five
- my work's annual kids' Christmas party, and my kids' annual delight at visiting my desk and colleagues, riding in elevators and walking round and round the revolving glass doors.
- our girls got their first bicycles
- the girls got seperate bedrooms - that job finally completed tonight. Crack open the champagne now!

Also July - my nephew born. He's gorgeous, and my sister is a great mum.


8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Accepting a prescription to tackle anxiety and depression, even while knowing there is nothing wrong with me and the difficulties all come from our circumstances/lifestyle; making the decision to take the drugs anyway, to get best result for me and my family, and yes, it improved our family life and my marriage instantly. (Sounds Stepford I know - but really - it was worth it)

9. What was your biggest failure?

Failure to just toughen up and cope with little middle-class problems the way my mum and my friends who are mums have always managed to do.
Also didn't lose any weight.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Two weeks' sick leave mid-year. Nothing damaged permanently except career prospects where I work, I suspect (no great loss).

11. What was the best thing you bought?
Wedge heels. Style and comfort in a glittery black high-heeled sandal, that works for office, evening and weekend - I have had an epiphany!!

12. Where did most of your money go?
Mortgage, daycare, groceries, car parking, Citylink tolls, takeaway coffee and lunches.
An incredible amount.

13. What song will always remind you of 2010?
Anything Lady Gaga.

14. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Exercised.

15. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Yelled.

16. What was your favourite TV program?
Modern Family. Love it, funniest thing ever.

17. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
No - honestly have never hated anyone. No new dislikes this year either.

18. What was the best book you read?
I liked these ones:

The Men Who Stare At Goats - Jon Ronson (always wanted to read this one - don't you hate it when you only manage it the year the movie comes out)

From Those Wonderful Folks Who Gave You Pearl Harbour - Jerry Della Femina. Interesting snapshot of working life in the 60's. Somewhat surprising to see that corporate stress and the pressures to succeed were the same then, it wasn't necessarily the halcyon age of whiskey and cigars we assume. This is the kind of historical perspective I love.

Living Oprah - Robyn Okrant. Crazy and funny but made some serious points too about the lifestyles and values and impossible, conflicting standards we (women) are trying to live by, and the power of the people we deify.

The Invisible Gorilla - Christopher Chabris and Daniel Simons.

At Home - Bill Bryson.


19. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Jill Barber - album Chances.  Discovered by way of this song, take a listen here.

20. What was your favorite film of this year?
I didn't see many. Probably The Secret in Their Eyes, with runner up The Social Network.  Also greatly enjoyed Megamind.  Check out this dialogue!

21. What did you do on your birthday?
Lunch with family.

22. What kept you sane?
Zoloft!; supportive husband; sick leave.

23. Who did you miss?
Saw less of my friends this year than I would have liked - missed that.

24. Who was the best new person you met?
Well I think I have already mentioned elsewhere I am officially in love with our new school principal - he will do for now, I can't think of anyone else "new" ... Will update this post later if memory dredges up anyone amazing !


25. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2010:
After years of assiduously not doing so, and of believing it was not necessary, I have learned that, unfortunately, you do have to network and be a political animal at work - never mind to "get ahead", but just to do OK where you are and protect your resources and yourself. Sigh.

 

Happy New Year to all - and to all, a Good Night!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...