Aug 9, 2010

Smug List / Crap List

This is an idea floated by Mia Freedman, author of the wonderful blog Mama Mia - LOVE her, this blog is like a magazine without the silly bits (horoscopes etc). Mia’s suggestion is for more mothers to share those two secret lists they hold in their hearts about how they raise their children: the Smug List (things they know they do well) and the Crap List (things they’re ashamed of or feel bad about). Naturally everyone’s Crap List is longer than their Smug List. The Crap List is the best because reading someone else’s makes you feel better about your own.


So in honour of all that, here are my own lists.


SMUG LIST

1. I ate very sensibly during pregnancy and only gained 14 kilos, even carrying twins (You see, I preferred to put on an extra 15 kilos AFTER the babies were born).

2. My girls were carried to term (2 weeks early for twins = to term), and were a good size and healthy. (Though I know this is actually called “luck”).
 
3. I have always prepared nutricious, balanced and varied meals for my children and model good eating by eating the same foods with them, being enthusiastic about the meals, and we all enjoy our vegies.
 
4. I play word games, sing, dance, do nursery rhymes and read and make up stories.
 
5. I always took my kids for walks from a young age even if it was cold, we just rugged up.

6. Our days follow routines that the girls know and like, and we don't try and cram in too much on weekends.
 
7. We are teaching the girls their "heritage" language in a relaxed and gradual way without putting pressure on them, and using fun things like songs to do it.
 
8. I think I strike a good balance between getting the girls to help with things like packing up and  just letting them play and have fun and not being too strict about it.
 
 
CRAP LIST
 
1. Other than walking or going to the park, I don't do physical stuff very much - very few outdoor games, football, etc
 
2. We've never taken them camping or to the snow
 
3. We have been a bit slack with swimming lessons; luckily, school starts next year with swimming lessons built in.
 
4. My kids tell me whenever they ask me to come to them or help them with something my response is always "Okay, in a minute..."  They also know and use the phrase "You're giving me a headache!"
 
5. We watch DVDs way more than we read books together.

6. Every Saturday morning I leave the girls with cartoons on TV while I read the paper and have a coffee.
 
7. I sometimes finish my kids' sentences for them - very bad, trying to stop
 
8. I have worked way too late on more than the odd occasion, and not been home early enough to enjoy my kids before bedtime.
 
9. When I am tired and over-worked I get mad too easily and I sometimes yell when I can't get the girls to do what I want. Taking steps to avoid this these days.
 
10. We have been hopeless at establishing good bedtimes - see post here on same. Hopefully getting better now.
 
11. I haven't completed any photo albums - not even the baby album.
 
12. I bought the Lady Gaga CD on a whim (without vetting it first) because my 4-year-old girls love her, then had to try and stop them singing "I want to ride on your disco stick..."

 
One could go on...

4 comments:

  1. At least they haven't picked up "bluffin' with my muffin...." or a few other of her joyful phrases.

    ReplyDelete
  2. probably only a matter of time...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't reckon putting on cartoons so you can have a coffee and read the paper belongs on the crap list!! That's enjoyable for all - throw it on the smug list I say!!! Sam

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool, one thing knocked off the crap list then!! Thanks Sam!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...